Back pain is a condition that everyone seems to be complaining about these days. It comes in different ways that range from localized lower back pain, muscle spasms, back pain that radiate down the leg, numbness and stiffness to back pain that worsens during certain activities like walking, twisting, sleeping, standing or bending. The causes of back pains vary but what is even surprising is that low back pain is the single leading cause of disability worldwide and more than 80% of Americans experience it at some point in their lives.
Getting enough sleep is one of the requirements for a healthy living. When you are experiencing back pains, a good sleep is something that is hard to come by because you keep tossing and turning the entire night. What many people don’t know is that back pain can be greatly reduced by using a good mattress that encourages a good sleeping posture as well as relax your muscles. The following list will help you when looking for the best mattress for back pain:
2Tuft & Needle Mattress
3Zinus Green Tea Mattress
6Resort Sleep Mattress
7Classic Brands Cool Gel Mattress
Below is an in-depth guide on each of these mattresses highlighting reasons why we found them to be the best mattresses that you can rely on to help relieve back pain.
The Leesa Matress, described as the Better New Mattress, is a beautifully designed mattress that is crafted with three premium foam layers. The top layer consists of perforated and convoluted Avena foam followed by a middle layer of memory foam and a bottom layer of a solid core base. All these are meant to provide comfort, body contouring and pressure relief. The mattress also features a seamless polyester blend four-striped cover that looks beautiful and feels smooth such that you might not want to put any sheets on it. It is made in the USA and comes with a warranty of 10 years.
Why choose Leesa Mattress
– It is beautifully designed and provides a comfortable and luxurious feeling. An appealing mattress will make your room look good and creates a relaxing environment.
– It is a medium firm mattress which is good for relieving back pain. This is made possible through the combination of the Avena foam, memory foam and solid base that provide comfort, bounce and support. This comes out best when you set it up on a flat or rigid foundation.
– It is made in the USA and it is rated number one direct-to-consumer mattress. This together with the 10 years warranty gives you the assurance in terms of the quality of materials used.
– It comes with no risks given that you get 100 days of sleep to decide whether to keep it return it for refund.
– If you wish to help others, buying this mattress will enable those in homeless shelters get one too.
Potential concerns with Leesa Mattress
-While many users like the feeling, there are those who feel that it is a firm mattress and hard to sleep on
-You may not like the chemical odor as experienced by a number of users
-It might take some time to get used to it
Leesa mattress is generally a good mattress given that it is designed well and over 70% of users say that it is comfortable with just the right firmness. If you think about it, the chemical odor usually goes away after a few days or you might not even feel it plus you have enough time to decide whether to keep it or not. It is definitely a mattress worth trying if you are experiencing back pains.
2Tuft & Needle Mattress
The T&N mattress is described as being unlike any other mattress in terms of strength, support, comfort and cooling. This is because it is made using the high quality T&N adaptive foam that is bouncy yet supportive for all sleeping positions. The mattress is comprised of the top layer made of T&N adaptive foam followed by two layers of high-density polyurethane foam free from chemicals and carcinogens and a support layer on the bottom. It is infused with cooling gel and graphite and covered with a high-performance tactel fabric that is made from a blend of rayon and polyester. It is made in the USA and comes with a 10 year warranty.
Why chooseTuft & Needle Mattress
– It is a highly rated mattress with 90% 5-star reviews. It has also been rated the #1 MATTRESS BRAND and the BEST BUY in 2015 and 2016 respectively. This shows that it is what it claims to be.
– It is a medium firm mattress and the adaptive foam ensures that it is bouncy with no sinking in and getting stuck. This is good for relieving pressure and back pains during sleep.
– It is certiPUR-US and OEKO-TEX certified which means that the materials used are safe and free from dangerous elements.
– It is made in the USA with 10 years warranty which is makes it a quality product that comes with a great price.
– It comes with no risks given that you have a 100 night sleep trials to decide if it is the right one for you or not. This also comes with hassle free returns and a 100% refund.
– It is cool and fits all frames.
– The packaging is also great and is delivered in a small box.
Potential concerns with Tuft & Needle Mattress
– There are complains of it being too firm and not medium firm.
– Bad smell for the first few days.
This mattress definitely comes with a lot of good features and with 90% of 5-star reviews, it seems that the complaints are a result of personal preferences and may be a few faults here and there. It is worth giving it a try given that it comes with no risks.
Zinus Green Tea mattress
Zinus Green Tea Matress is touted as the most affordable memory foam mattress with great performance. It is of medium firmness with three layers of memory foam, comfort foam and high-density air flow foam. All these combine to provide comfort, pressure relief and cool surface. The cover is a beautifully designed knitted jacquard that is highly breathable and with a modern look. It is infused with green tea extract instead of the conventional petroleum which is not only eco-friendly but also fresh. This mattress is shipped using a patented technology and delivered in a small box.
Why Choose Zinus Green Tea Mattress
– It is a medium firm mattress which is good for an average sleeper and accommodates both back and side sleepers. It also helps in relieving back pains while sleeping.
– It is infused with green tea extract and natural castor seed oil which is chemical free and offers a fresh feeling.
– It is certiPUR-US certified in terms of durability, performance and safety. This is confirmed by the 10 years warranty.
– It is smartly shipped using a patented compression technology which ensures that it fits into a small box that is conveniently delivered to your doorstep.
– It does not sleep hot thanks to the air flow technology in its bottom layers.
– It comes with a very good price.
Potential concerns with Zinus Green Tea Mattress
– There are cases of failure to inflate fully after opening.
– There are those who feel that it is too soft and has poor edge support.
The Zinus Green Tea Mattress is an affordable mattress that is durable, comfortable and supportive especially if you are a medium weight sleeper. Being medium firm means that it is good for an average person. Some defects may exist but you may return it under warranty. It is great given then price.
The Purple Mattress
The Purple Mattress is described as providing the perfect spinal alignment on both your back and side. This is based on the fact that the spine needs to maintain its natural curve when you lie on your back and a straight line when you lie on your side. It is a heavy mattress with the queen size weighing up to 115 pounds. The purple is different from memory foam in that it is temperature neutral, does not develop body indent and it is made from PurpleTM non–toxic material. This is touted as being neutral in terms of being soft, hard, cool and warm as well as having no pressure on your body, wallet and store.
Why choose the Purple Mattress
– It supports your back like a firm mattress yet cradles your hips and shoulders like a soft mattress. In other words, it offers the best of both firm and soft.
– It is green which means that the manufacturing product is recyclable and non-toxic.
– It sleeps neutral which is ideal for comfortable nights for majority of people and accommodates the weather all year round.
– It does not compromise on the quality and quantity of material used.
– It is comfortable and offers a unique sleeping experience thanks to the unique egg crate topper/purple squares.
– It comes with no risks given the 30 day trial period.
Potential concerns with the Purple mattress
– It is very heavy and a bit difficult when moving it from room to room leave alone returning it.
– The packaging is not good as it does not come in a box
The Purple Mattress is undoubtedly a unique mattress that offers a unique sleeping experience for all sleeping positions. Those with back pains highly recommend it given the high number of great reviews. If you don’t mind the heavy weight which seems to have also affected the packaging, it is a mattress worth trying.
The Casper Mattress
Casper Mattress is made using a combination soft latex and firm memory foam for both comfort and support. It boasts of having just the right sink, the right bounce and a cool night’s sleep. It is no doubt that The Casper has backed a good number of awards and is recognized by the leading industry players. This shows that the mattress has something good and unique to offer those who use it. One noticeable feature is the 4 foam layer construction that consists of the durable support foam, adaptive transition foam, responsive memory foam and the open- cell hypoallergenic latex. All these layers are enclosed under a single piece of fabric that is white, stretchy, smooth and breathable on top. This cool mattress is also durable and comes with a warranty of 10 years.
Why choose the Casper Mattress
-The Camper Mattress has a medium firm feel which suits the needs of many sleepers including those with back pain problems.
– The mixture of latex and memory foam creates a more contouring feeling than the average latex mattress while retaining a healthy bounce. Besides, it aligns well to the spine in all sleeping positions.
– It is cool and great if you do not like sleeping hot.
-It is an award winning mattress which simply clears the doubt on its great performance.
-It comes with no risk with its 100 nights trial and free returns
Potential concerns with The Casper mattress
-There are those who feel that it is too firm and not good for side sleepers
-The odor can be strong for the first few days.
When it comes to a comfortable mattress, personal preferences differ especially with those that are designed to be medium firm. The important thing is that this mattress is comfortable for average sleepers and it is worth trying it given that you can return for refund if you do not like it.
The Resort Sleep Mattress
This is a memory foam mattress with medium to medium-firm feeling. It is designed to relieve pressure points hence reduce tossing and turning during sleep. This signature feel targets sore shoulders and hips as well as aid in back pain relief. This memory foam has no coils or latex but two layers of premium Air-Flow infused Visco and high-density support base that make it breathable, comfortable and cool. It also has a soft fabric cover made of flex linen which is a comfortable material with a cloud-like sensation. The cover is removable, washable and matches with any bedroom furniture. The Resort Sleep can be used on a box-spring, metal platform, adjustable bed and a hard floor only. The mattress is certiPUR-US certified and comes with a 20 year warranty. A new purchase comes with a full refund guarantee trial of 30 days.
Why choose the Resort sleep Mattress
– It is very affordable yet it is made from quality materials.
– It is the best mattress for people with sore shoulders and hips as well as back pains. This is due to its medium to medium-firm feeling.
– It is comfortable and cool which is brought about by the perfect marriage of the premium air-flow infused Visco and high-density support base.
– It comes with a removable cover that is easy to clean. The cover is also smooth and comfortable.
– It is a highly rated mattress with over 90% 5-star reviews. This shows that it lives up to its promise.
– It is certiPUR-US certified for content, performance and durability. A 20 year warranty and a 30 day full refund guarantee say it all.
– It is smartly packaged and is easy to set up.
Potential concerns with the Resort Sleep Mattress
– There are some complaints of it not buffing to the full inches
– Others feel that it is too firm
The Resort Sleep Mattress has a lot of good features and just like other mattress, complaints are expected in terms of the firmness, odor and so on. The good thing is that this mattress comes with a 30 day full refund guarantee and it is worth considering it given the price.
Classic Brands Cool Gel Mattress
This cool gel memory foam mattress is designed using three effective layers of foam. On top is the breathable Cool Gel Memory Foam followed by the Poly-Gel Supportive foam which supports the Gel Memory Foam and at the bottom is the support base layer that maintains the strength and effectiveness of all the layers. The cover is also great and consists of white knit top and charcoal-grey knit sides. It is also 4-way stretch which ensures that it conforms to your body for comfort and together with the gel memory foam; they optimize the contouring properties of the mattress. It is described as having a medium-plush feel and is adjustable base friendly. Being certiPUR-US certified shows that the mattress does not contain harmful elements and that its durability and performance is above board. It is shipped compressed and rolled in a box for convenient delivery and set up.
Why choose Classic Brands Cool Gel Mattress
– It uses original gel memory foam which supports each part of the body evenly.
– It adjusts automatically to your body weight and allows the spine to stay in a neutral position. This aids in back pain relief.
– It is supportive yet has a plush sleeping surface.
– It sleeps cool thanks to the cool gel memory foam which regulates temperature hence no hot nights. The foam is also breathable and comfortable than the conventional foam.
– It is certiPUR-US certified for performance and content.
– The packaging is smart and is done through compression and rolling. This makes it easy to deliver and set up.
– The cover is beautiful, made of a good material that is well designed.
– The price is on the lower side.
Potential concerns with Classic Brands Cool Gel mattress
– It is described as a plush mattress yet there are complaints of it being too firm
– Others say it does not rise fully after setting it up.
There is actually no single universally good mattress because personal preferences differ greatly. The Classic Brands mattress has a high number of good features and many users agree that it is a good choice in terms of comfort and back support. It is therefore one of those mattresses that are worth considering for back pain relief.
What defines a good mattress for back pain?
Back pain is caused by several factors and sleeping on the wrong mattress can worsen it. Many people have seen this pain go down greatly by simply using the right mattress. So, which qualities should you look for if you suffer from back pains?
– Look for a medium firm mattress if you are a back sleeper. This is a mattress that is firm enough to support your back yet soft enough to allow for body contouring.
– Look for a medium plush mattress if you are a side sleeper. This is because you need some softness to cushion your shoulders and hips.
-Look for a firm mattress if you are a stomach sleeper. This is because a firmer mattress will keep you afloat and not put strain on your spine.
Getting the right mattress based on the above facts could be so easy. The problem is that majority of sleepers use a combination of the three sleeping postures and the result is tossing and turning when using any kind of mattress. Whatever your sleeping posture is, it is important that you maintain the alignment of the curves of your spinal cord while sleeping.
The best mattress for back pain
There are some types of mattresses that experts recommend as providing the necessary alignment and therefore good for a majority of sleepers. They include memory foam, visco foam, hybrids and other premium foams that conform closest to the sleeper’s body shape. It is also recommended to go for the ones that are medium-firm because they allow parts of the body to sink while at the same time giving support to the areas that need it.
Also read these guides:
While there is no universally perfect mattress, you should try as much as possible to get a mattress that conforms to your natural sleeping posture. Unlike in the past, you do not need to visit different stores and try as many mattresses as you can. What you can do is to search for a mattress online and choose one with the qualities that you want. The good part of this is that you are allowed to try it in the comfort of your home for a few weeks and then return it if you do not like it.